Pre-Settlement Funding in South Dakota
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, traffic crashes killed more people in the United States in 2021 than any year since 2005. NHTSA projects that an estimated 42,915 people died in motor vehicle traffic crashes last year, a 10.5% increase from the 38,824 fatalities in 2020.
What a plaintiff in a personal injury lawsuit often finds is that their case will drag out over months or even years and they may find themselves in financial distress because they are unable to work or pay medical bills or even cover basic living expenses.
Thankfully, in South Dakota you can get the legal funding you need by contacting HMR to discuss how our pre-settlement funding program can help you pay for living expenses and other needs while your attorney is working to get you the justice you deserve.
With our risk-free settlement loans, you can get the legal funding you need without applying for a lawsuit loan.
- Eligibility for legal funding is based on the strength and potential value of your case
- No credit check or income validation needed to approve your request
- You won’t need to repay the pre-settlement funding if you lose your lawsuit.
Our experts will need relevant information from you below and will contact your attorney to discuss your case.
Get Started Now
What is Pre-Settlement Funding?
Pre-settlement funding, also known as a lawsuit loan, legal funding or a settlement advance, is an advance on your pending lawsuit settlement or award. Unlike traditional loans, the cash you receive will be based on the merits of your case, not your credit rating. Also, unlike a traditional loan, if your case is lost, you won’t have to pay back the pre-settlement advance you received from HMR.
How does Pre-Settlement Funding work in South Dakota?
Applying for pre-settlement funding in South Dakota is very simple and straightforward. Below are the simple steps:
- Fill out our online request form above and provide the requested information
- Our team will reach out to your attorney to discuss your case in more detail
- We’ll make a decision within 24-48 hours based on the merits of your case
- You can receive your money quickly through direct deposit, Western Union, by check or other means
How can Pre-Settlement Funding help you?
Once you receive your pre-settlement cash advance, you can use it for anything you need such as:
- Paying for basic living expenses like monthly bills, housing and car payments
- Covering medical expenses and medicine
- Purchase groceries and gasoline
Ultimately, getting a pre-settlement advance can help your attorney have the time they need to get you the justice you deserve, without your worrying about making ends meet in the meantime.
Fault Laws in South Dakota
South Dakota permits a plaintiff to recover damages so long as their fault was “slight.” I.e. a defendant’s fault must be “gross” (or great) to liable for a plaintiff’s injuries. Often called “slight-gross negligence,” it can limit a plaintiff’s ability to recover. So long as a plaintiff is only slightly at fault, they can receive damages reduced in accordance with the degree of fault. If that fault is determined to be more than “slight,” however, recovery can be completely barred.
The South Dakota Mandatory Liability Insurance Law
In South Dakota, vehicle owners must have the following minimum amounts of liability auto insurance coverage:
- $25,000 liability coverage for bodily injury or death, per person injured or killed in an accident.
- $50,000 liability coverage for total bodily injury or death liability in an accident.
Statute of Limitations in South Dakota
South Dakota personal injury statute of limitations states that an accident victim has up to three (3) years after an accident to file a claim or lawsuit against the at-fault party. This deadline only applies to filing your claim. It does not mean that you will get the cash you deserve within that timeframe. You could spend months or years fighting for compensation, which is why many people turn to legal funding.
Apply for Pre-Settlement Funding in South Dakota Today
If you’ve been injured and are in need of financial assistance while your case is in motion, apply now for pre-settlement funding and our experienced team at HMR will contact you and your attorney to learn more about your case and how we can help you.